Sunday, January 4, 2009

Scripture Memory Challenge

Ladies,
Happy New Year to you all!  I trust that you had a blessed Christmas and and are experiencing God's faithfulness already this year! For those of you who are looking for something new to help you dig into God's word more this year, we've got a challenge for you.......
Are any of these verses familiar to you?
"Be transformed by the renewing of your mind" Romans 12:2
"I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you"  Psalm 199:11
"If your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction." Psalm 119:92
"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path" Psalm 119:105
"Everyone hears these words of mine and puts them into practice..." Matthew 7:24
This is just a brief listing of scripture that speaks about learning, memorizing, meditating and acting on scripture.  Based on just those few verses, one could easily conclude that we need to KNOW scripture in order to walk by faith and draw closer to the Lord every day.  Whether you are trying to demolish strongholds, learning how to share your faith or be a better wife & mother (to name just a few reasons to know God's word), the word of God which we are told in Hebrews 4:12 is living and active,  is our greatest tool.   
I have always struggled with memorizing scripture.  The enormity of God's word intimidates me. I never know where to start and can't ever find the right "plan" of action to take.  Recently, I learned about a challenge that Beth Moore was doing on her Living Proof blog that will help women learn two new scriptures each month.   I personally think that it's the perfect plan......not too many, not too few! As soon as I decided to do this challenge, within 5 minutes, I had the scripture I wanted to memorize first. 
Basically, we are to choose our own scripture to memorize on the 1st and 15th of each month. That gives us two weeks to meditate on and hopefully memorize each scripture.  If you are interested in being a part of this challenge,  what I am asking you to do is to post your name (by clicking on the "post a comment" link at the bottom of this post**), so we can keep a record of everyone involved in the challenge.  I think that we will hold ourselves (and others) more accountable if we've "signed our names" to this than if we just decided to do it and didn't tell anyone. Then, after you've prayed about and chosen a verse to memorize first, go to the next post titled "January 1st Scripture" and type your verse,  what translation you are using and add the reference so that anyone else who wants to use that verse in the future will be able to locate it easily. If you are interested in receiving emails to remind you to have your new verses posted on the 1st and 15th of each month, email me at (melmcdaniel@bellsouth.net) and we will add you to a reminder list.  Since we are getting a late start this month, I recommend choosing a less "complicated" verse so you would not be discouraged right from the start......probably not as simple as 'Jesus wept', but you get the point, right? Then, on the 1st and 15th of each month, come back to this blog and type the new verse as a comment on the corresponding date entry.  I hope that makes sense..... Once you go to the entries, you'll see what I've done and it should help explain everything.
If you would like to be apart of the 2500+ women who have committed with Beth Moore on her blog, I would recommend reading the December 27th entry regarding the challenge and signing up to participate there, too.  It's a little extra effort each time, but I'm certain you would be blessed by being a part of such a huge work of God in the lives of women all over the country.  There is a link to her site on the right hand side of this blog.
If you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment or email me at any time. I think this is a great opportunity for us to grow closer to the Lord and even each other through this experience. I can't wait to see how many women we get to sign up!
In Christ,
Melissa

**in order to leave a comment, you need to open this post by clicking on the title.

10 comments:

Melissa said...

Melissa McDaniel

Ginger said...

I'll do it! I'm new to blogging, so you may need to help me. I'm going to start on the 15th.
Ginger Hobbs

Anonymous said...

Cool beans! Hi, I'm Ginger's friend from Texas and you can count me in too. I'll start on the 15th as well.

Kay said...

count me in; twill be such a blessing!!

Unknown said...

This has been on my mind but always getting overtaken by STUFF! Thanks for the intentional thinking. Here WE go!

Danielle said...

I'm in too! Thanks for doing this. I will start today.

Anonymous said...

I'm ready to grow!

Juli said...

A slow learner, but now I'm on google.

Kathy said...

Where have I been? I did not know about the blog website. This is great!! I can "cut my teeth" on blogging for the first time, and learn scripture at the same time! Isn't Vaughn Forest just the greatest? Ok here goes... What do I do now? Pick a verse..memorize...blog..Ok, help! I am new to computer blogging, I check my email sometimes. Here goes!

Wendy said...

Wendy Timbie